Monday, October 13, 2008

No more carefree days for me....


Well, I'm back to having a real job. No more late afternoon runs or mid-day shopping trips for me. No more long lunches, no more late mornings chatting with Paulette, no more taking Ben to preschool, and no more carefree blog all day days for me! I choose this lovely picture of Ben for this post for two reasons. One, what could be more carefree than jumping in a pile of leaves? And two because it was taken yesterday the day before my first day of my new job. (and also because I can't have a post without a photo and this one is so FUN)
So about my first day. It went pretty well but it was also a bit overwhelming. I know I'm really going to like the people and the actual work of the job but there is this one pesky thing that is going to make it less than perfect. Can you guess what that might be? Yes, MEETINGS! There is something about meetings at big companies that just drives me crazy. I was in two particularly bad meetings today and I'm told that they are not normally that bad but as they are the only two I have to compare to I don't have much hope. The Best Buy campus is beautiful and my comfy little short wall cube is open to the window so that is nice. I'm on the 8th floor of what they call building A. I can see both highways (35W and 494) out my window along with downtown Minneapolis. Right now with the fall colors the view is beautiful. Well, I guess I imagine it to be beautiful it was a dreary rainy day here today.
When I logged onto my computer at 3pm today (that is when IT finally found me) I already had 69 emails! Yes 69 emails! Approximately 20 of those emails were for meeting requests and of those 20 meeting requests 3 of the meetings were for before I even started. Yes, I had been invited to meetings before I was even an employee, go figure! There is something disconcerting about opening your email for the first time and instantly getting 3 pop ups saying such and such is overdue!
I know I have to give it a chance and that first days are always hard etc. etc. I just didn't expect to be so overwhelmed the first day. So many acronyms and things I feel like I don't know. Part of it is just getting used to the lingo of the retail industry. I'm certainly not familiar with the key measures in the retail sector. That will come in time and be fine but right now my brain is buzzing!
Tomorrow is another day. And I have two meetings to look forward to including one from
10am - 2pm! I'm not even kidding!
Oh and how can I forget to talk about how my laptop was delivered. The IT guy was wheeling it on a GIANT cart. One of those carts you would expect to have a BIG tube TV on or something. The only thing on this cart was my laptop! It reminded me of the hospital where they won't let you walk in the halls with your newborn baby you have to push him/her in the bassinet. This was exactly the same thing, the IT guy had to push my baby laptop on this over sized cart. But the real irony is that they had it over to you and have you sign a bunch of forms about having to give them your first born child if you harm it in anyway but then they don't even give you a bag or case or anything to carry it in!

1 comment:

Ann said...

Luke just got a job in IT at the Best Buy Corporate Office. So next time the IT guy comes around to work on your computer it just might be him. Won;t that be ironic.

Ann